Two trimesters into our family’s likely 30 trimester experience at Guerin Catholic High School, I am feeling grateful to God and therefore I am compelled this day to share 10 things I love about this high school.
1. The first all school mass of the year. A standing ovation to welcome the freshmen? You gotta be kidding me. AWESOME!
2. Long Live the GC Student Section! Experiencing the rowdy, smiling fools– dressed in God knows what crazy theme on any given night—totally fun!
3. Boys who know how to tie their own tie.
4. Deacon Rick’s weekly letter. Man oh man, I’m gonna miss that guy!
5. Purple Pride. This one was almost a deal breaker for us choosing GC. Think LSU colors. Yikes! But now, I admit, I find myself searching out purple accessories. It grows on you.
6. Ash Wednesday Lunch: A bowl of soup, a piece of bread. Hello, Lent.
7. Fr. Joshua Janko: Fantasy conclave pushing, mass before finals celebrating, oversized basketball jersey wearing PASSION.
8. Mr. Panasuk’s Videos: Here’s a sample: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJcDQ8muSwo
9. Community Service Day: “Be a Servant. Be a Leader” (X 750). Powerful.
10. Teachers who get it: Here’s the sort of thing that happens in every department, with consistency. These people just get it. This letter went out to Spanish students yesterday. Remember, this isn’t from the Theology teacher.
Final exams have been graded and plugged in. The overall grade you see listed is your FINAL grade for the course. There is nothing more you can do, even if you are only .0000000001 from whatever the next grade up may be. If you wish to see your final exam, you may come check with me after the last final exam period is complete. I thank you for a good trimester together and would like to leave you with a quote from Fr. Michael Keating, an associate professor of Catholic Studies at St. Thomas University in Minnesota that recently struck me as the reality of this statement is stunning. He said, (referring to eternity) “You will either be a creature of eternal light and rule with Christ in His Kingdom, or you will be an eternal horror full of darkness in the depths of hell. You are not called to just be a ‘nice’ person.” I don’t know about you, but I find that to be absolutely amazing and terrifying at the same time. Let us pray today for the grace to live a holy life, so that we can live forever as creatures of eternal light. Your life may be the only Bible some people read. – Author Unknown
It is impossibe to estimate what a Christian education does for these young people. — St. Theodore Guerin
Great Catholic schools everywhere deserve our thanks. They are filled with amazing educators, administrators and volunteers who aren’t in it for the money, that’s for sure. What do you love about your Catholic school??